Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Calling all iontophoresis practitioners!



I called four doctors who were listed on the International Hyperhidrosis Society's physician finder to see if any offered iontophoresis treatment. After all the research I've done, I am beginning to think that this is the most promising treatment for me. Each of the doctors I called had attended an educational event offered by the IHS, so I figured that they'd be able to help me.

Here's how the typical call went:
"Hello. I'm calling to see if Dr. X offers iontophoresis treatments for hyperhidrosis."
"Are you a patient?"
"I might be if s/he offers iontophoresis. Would you tell me if it is available?"

~Pause~

Doctor's office: "Uhh...what are you calling about? Do you want Botox shots?" In other words, the doctor would prefer to perform the more profitable procedure. To prevent the recurrance of sweat, Botox requires new injections every few months. Cha-ching!

On the other hand, iontophoresis requires a $600 investment in a unit and some initial training at the doctor's office. Once you are trained, you can continue treatments at home.

Does anyone know of doctors who perform iontophoresis treatments? If so, share their names with me and I'll compile a list for this blog.

One more thought: Why does it have to be so hard to find a decent treatment option?

No comments: